Misconceptions People May Hold About Trauma
Misconceptions of trauma are common to my practice.
I see tons of families and individuals who come from all walks of life and have different belief systems.
Sadly, some of these beliefs systems entail a host of misconceptions about trauma that can make healing difficult.
In this article (and video), I will be discussion common misconceptions we tend to hold.
Understanding the truth is significant
\\Misconceptions of trauma can keep you stuck in the same place for years. Most misconceptions grow out of gross misunderstanding. Other misconceptions grow out of fear of change. Developing an accurate understanding of trauma is significant in recovery of trauma and healing.
Common misconceptions that lead others to say…
Common misconceptions often lead people around us to say things that include but are not limited to:
- You can get over it
- Just get some help/therapy
- Just get over it
- Move on
- Grow up
- Why can’t you just move on?
- Get over it already!
- You have so much ahead of you
- Why are you stuck?
- Just make the decision to heal and move on
- What are you recovering from?
- Therapy will never work
- Who believes in therapy in today’s society?
- Just learn to roll with the punches
- Start making better decisions and things will change
- Get a hobby
- Do more fun things
- Find someone to love
- Get a pet
- Have children
- Get married